After spending many years travelling the world, the Earl returned to Sodor to restore King Godred's Castle on his estate at Ulfstead. Later, he sent Stephen to the Sodor Steamworks to have him restored in time for the opening of the castle. However, when Stephen went missing in a mine, he managed to find King Godred's golden crown, something that the Earl was desperately looking for.
In the seventeenth season, he arranged with Mr. Percival for Millie and Luke to swap jobs for a day. Later, he convinced Sir Topham Hatt to dress up as Santa Claus to entertain the children at the Ulfstead Castle Christmas Fair. He also gave Stephen the special job of collecting ingredients for the afternoon teas at the Castle.
In Tale of the Brave, Thomas finds some bones which turn out to be the ones Sir Robert has been looking for to complete his dinosaur skeleton.
Sir Robert Norramby is a railway buff and a gentleman explorer, who owns an estate on the island of Sodor. With his white beard and longish hair he may seem a little eccentric, but he is an old friend of Sir Topham Hatt and has come home to the island after many years travelling the world. Sir Robert often says "I love a good surprise!".
- Season 17 - The Switch, Too Many Fire Engines (cameo), Santa's Little Engine and The Afternoon Tea Express
- A Sir Richard Robert Norramby, mentioned in The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways, was also an Earl. It is likely that Andrew Brenner based Sir Robert Norramby on him.
- The Earl also has his own segments which feature on DVD releases in which he asks viewers questions about episodes.
- Mike Grady (UK/US)
- Bernd Stephan (Germany)
- Miłogost Reczek (Poland)
- Shingo Fujimori (Japan; King of the Railway only)
- Kiyonobu Suzuki (Japan; seventeenth season onwards)
- Wooden Railway (coming soon)