|This article is about the steam engine. You may be looking for the Fat Controller's grandson.|
Stephen is one of the earliest engines ever built. Newer engines may be faster and stronger than Stephen, but what he lacks in terms of strength or speed, he makes up for with his positive spirit, sense of humour, and knowledge. He used to work at docks and in mines, but now works as a tour-guide at Ulfstead Castle. He can often be seen pulling an open-topped carriage and was trapped in the Ulfstead Mine where he discovered King Godred's long lost crown in time for the opening of the castle. In the seventeenth season, he gave Percy a lucky horseshoe when he was having bad luck, helped him trick James and took the Afternoon Tea Express.
Stephen is a jolly old engine with a positive attitude and a good sense of humor. He is a good-hearted and quick-witted engine, and will not take any nonsense from engines like Spencer or Diesel. Some of the smaller engines look up to him for advice, and he is always willing to get the job done.
Stephen is based on Stephenson's Rocket.
Stephen is painted yellow and black. He bears a gold nameplate reading "Rocket". His funnel is painted white with a gold finial and his domes, whistle, exhaust pipes, and boiler bands are copper.
- Season 17 - The Lost Puff, The Phantom Express, Percy's Lucky Day, Too Many Fire Engines, Santa's Little Engine, and The Afternoon Tea Express
- Bob Golding (UK/US)
- Rainer Schmitt (Germany)
- Atsuhiko Nakata (Japan; King of the Railway only)
- Nobuaki Kanemitsu (Japan; seventeenth season onwards)
- Stig Krogstad (Norway; King of the Railway onwards, excluding the seventeenth season)
- Øyvind Borgemoen Lyse (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- Piotr Warszawski (Poland)
- Stephen does not have a chain for his front coupler.
- Stephen gained a lamp and a front coupling when he was restored.
- In the episode The Afternoon Tea Express, Stephen's funnel is black instead of white and gold.
- In the seventeenth season episode, Percy's Lucky Day, it is revealed that Stephen has a lucky horse shoe resting on his exhaust pipe.
- Wooden Railway (normal, rusted, Royal Bunting, and mine dust covered versions)
- Motor Road and Rail
- Motorized Railway (coming soon)
- Take-n-Play (normal, rusted, dust covered, and talking versions)
- Wind-up Trains (coming soon)
- Percy: Did you ever see knights in shining armour?
- Stephen: No! I may be old, but I'm not that old! And before you ask, I never saw dinosaurs either!
- Percy and Stephen discussing the latter's age, King of the Railway
|Other Sudrian railways|
|Bill and Ben • Wellsworth and Suddery Railway Tank Engines • Mavis|
|Stephen • Timothy • Millie|